Jud Chesterman's Mitral Valve
The first artificial cardiac valve replacement in the world was performed at the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield (then called the City General Hospital) on July 22nd 1955. The new mitral valve was fashioned from a Perspex electrical insulator by Cliff Lambourne to the design of Judson Chesterman, cardiac surgeon. It was inserted without bypass. Further information is available from: The Annals of Thoracic Surgery 1991; 51: 525-6.



Museum Home | Sheffield Department of Anaesthesia