Lillehei & De Wall cardiopulmonary bypass, with Sigmamotor T6S pump
In 1956 Sheffield cardio thoracic surgeon Mr Judson Chesterman visited Lillehei and De Wall in Minneapolis to learn their new techniques of cardiopulmonary bypass. He purchased the Sigmamotor pump whilst there, and on returning to Sheffield had the rest of the apparatus constructed locally by Cliff Lambourne. It was first used clinically in February 1957. In the 1980s the apparatus was reconstructed to the original plans under the supervision of JA, much again by Cliff. The Sigmamotor pump is the original.

Currently on loan to the Royal College of Surgeons, London.


Museum Home | Sheffield Department of Anaesthesia