Oxford Vaporiser
Designed for use as a draw over anaesthetic machine in 1941 by Professor Macintosh and Dr Epstein in Oxford. They were built by Morris Motors, the car manufacturers, and used in the Second World War. The engineer responsible for the production at Morris Motors was Gerald Palmer. He later designed the Jowett Javelin and Riley Pathfinder cars, amongst others. The ether compartment was kept at a constant 30 degrees by the latent heat of crystallization of calcium chloride, itself heated by an inner chamber, filled with hot water. Donated by Dr A Padfield.


Museum Home | Sheffield Department of Anaesthesia