Smith-Clarke Junior Cabinet Respirator
Capt. G T Smith-Clarke was the chief designer of Alvis cars from 1922 until his retirement in 1950. He became Chairman of the Coventry and Warwickshire Hospitals in 1935. In 1954 he designed a new type of iron lung, where the cabinet was designed in two halves, aiding nursing. A group of ex-Alvis employees set up a company, Cape Engineering, in Warwick for manufacture. The example shown is a child's type, and was "in reserve" at Lodge Moor Hospital into the 1980s, in case of a future polio epidemic.


Museum Home | Sheffield Department of Anaesthesia