Smith-Clarke Mechanical Respirator
In 1953 Capt. G T Smith-Clarke was invited to a demonstration of the Beaver Ventilator at the Ministry of Health, which was encouraging the new concept of IPPV. He quickly designed a suitable ventilator, using many ideas from his motorcar-designing career. This was productionised in 1955, and proved to be a very reliable constant flow generator. This example was purchased in 1962 for intensive care use. Later this ventilator was redesigned and became the Cape Ventilator.


Museum Home | Sheffield Department of Anaesthesia